April 8, 2011
Saving green by going green would feel pretty good, right? How do you do that?
Supervisor Ron Roberts is presenting his 12th annual Lawn Mower Trade-In event. It takes place at the County Administration Center at 1600 Pacific Highway at 8 a.m. on Saturday, April 23.
All you have to do is bring a working gas-powered lawn mower and you get the opportunity to trade it in for a brand new Black & Decker CMM 1200, 24-volt, cordless mulching lawn mower for $99.99. Normally, these mowers sell for $399.00. That’s where you’re saving green. You’re going green because these electric mowers save pollutants from San Diego County’s air.
Since the first lawn mower trade-in event in 2000, zero-emission lawn mowers have taken 22 tons of pollutants out of the air per year. You can help add to that figure and give yourself a pat on the back.
- Photo I.D. and proof of San Diego County residency (includes cities and unincorporated area). (Valid proof of residency includes any of the following: Utility bill or your personal check that shows your local address in the County.)
- One (1) lawn mower per household, oil and gas emptied from tank prior to arrival.
(To recycle your oil, call Waste Management at 619-596-5100 or 760-439-2824 or City of San Diego Environmental Services 858-492-5060.)
- Lawn mower must be in proper working condition and have all appropriate parts attached.
(Lawn mower will be inspected, and fuel will be available in the event it is necessary to verify that your mower is in working condition.)
$99.99 Note: NO CHECKS ACCEPTED
(Cash or credit card with proper I.D.)
The North parking lot will be made available to participants, using the driveway on Pacific Highway to enter. Participants may also park in the South parking lot. Parking in both the North lot and the South lot will be free. Metered parking is also available in the surrounding area. (Meter requirements on Saturdays begin at 8 a.m.)
Note to Participants
- There is a limited number of lawn mowers that will be distributed on a first-come/first-serve basis. (We suggest participants arrive earlier than the 8 a.m. start time. Feel free to bring a lawn chair for your comfort while in line.)
- One lawn mower per person.
- The “Start Line” will begin at the East driveway of the North parking lot on Pacific Highway.
Important: Please do not leave your mower unattended until you have received your Participant Number. You must be in line with your old mower before a number can be given. A number cannot be given to a fellow participant holding your place in line or keeping an eye on your mower for you.
For more information, call (858) 586-2707