April 13, 2011
County supervisors commended the extraordinary service contributions of 20 residents who were selected as Volunteers of the Year for their work with various departments.
The volunteers, who have collectively donated a total of 4,834 hours, were honored at the County’s annual Volunteer Recognition event held prior to the Board of Supervisors meeting today. (Complete list below.)
“Our dedicated volunteers are the heart of many of our programs and services. Their motivation is not about money, but about purpose,” said Chairman Bill Horn. “The hours, and in many cases, years, that these volunteers have worked both behind-the-scenes and up front is a true service that benefits and touches diverse community groups.”
If all their years and months of service donated by these 20 individuals were added together, they have served more than 45 years.
Last year, 29,951 people volunteered to work for the County, saving taxpayers more than $32 million.
Volunteering with the County can be fun and rewarding and can also provide valuable job training. Visit the County website to learn more about the Volunteer Service Program and see a list of County departments with volunteer opportunities.
Volunteer of the Year recipients include:
- Pat Jordon of San Diego contributed 1,387 hours over three years to the Department of Animal Services
- Nancy Willsey of Chula Vista contributed 250 hours over six years to the District Attorney’s Victim Assistance Program
- Herman Schultz of Lemon Grove contributed 5,718 hours over 17 years to the Lemon Grove Sheriff’s Senior Volunteer Patrol
- John Williams of Poway contributed 10,000 hours over 10 years to the Poway Library bookstore
- Charla Cranor of Alpine, contributed 10,000 hours over 23 years to the San Diego County 4-H Program
- Richard Brown of Santee contributed 400 hours during a one-year period to Edgemoor Hospital
- Jessica Beland of Santee contributed 213 hours over six months to the Health and Human Services Agency
- Jack and Peggy Bowman of Lakeside contributed 4,900 hours over four years to Whitaker Estate County Park
- Mark Day of Cardiff contributed 900 hours over nine months to the Office of County Counsel
- James Munger of San Diego contributed 220 hours over two months to the Encinitas Community Library
- Diane Andre of Solana Beach contributed 1,500 hours over five years to Aging & Independence Services
- Ashley Erbeck of Vista contributed 123 hours over four months to Health and Human Services Agency
- Eric Lee of San Diego contributed 380 hours over five years to Polinsky Children’s Center
- Kathryn Smith of San Diego contributed 26 hours over two years to the Registrar of Voters
- Hessy Williams of San Diego contributed 211 hours during a two-year period to Child Welfare Services
- Danaly Barajas of San Diego contributed 700 hours during a one-year period to the Office of the Public Defender
- Steve Lee of Fallbrook contributed 367 hours during a 16-month period to the Fallbrook Library
- Claudia Loeber of Fallbrook contributed 82 hours to the Department of Planning and Land Use
- Laurence Reisner of Carlsbad contributed 7,600 hours over eight years to the Encinitas Sheriff’s Station Senior Volunteer Patrol