Mission Statement: The Office of Ethics and Compliance is dedicated to assisting in fulfilling the County’s commitment to the highest standards of ethics and compliance.
The Office of Ethics and Compliance is dedicated to fostering a culture of integrity among County staff by:
- Serving as a County resource in addressing ethical and compliance matters.
- Implementing the County’s Code of Ethics and developing policies, programs, and trainings that promote ethics and compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Receiving and reviewing complaints alleging unlawful discrimination, fraud, waste and abuse or other allegations of improper County government activity.
1600 Pacific Highway, Room #400
San Diego, CA 92101, USA
Phone: (619) 531-5174
Fax: (619) 685-2514
Office of Ethics and Compliance
Complaint Filing Procedure:
The Office of Ethics and Compliance investigates allegations of improper county government activity and discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age or disability.
In addition to the investigation of complaints alleging improper County government activity and discrimination, the Office of Ethics and Compliance oversees the implementation of the County policy on Code of Ethics.
If you are considering filing a complaint and have questions or would like additional information, please contact us directly at (619) 531-5174. Forms and instructions for filing complaints concerning Improper County Government Activity and Internal Discrimination may be downloaded from this website or mailed upon request by calling our office.
Internal Discrimination Complaint Form
Improper County Government Activity Complaint Form
In the interest of reliability and credibility, formal complaints must be signed under penalty of perjury before they are accepted and reviewed for investigation. In cases where the Office of Ethics and Compliance does not have jurisdiction, it will refer such complaints to other appropriate State and federal investigative agencies.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- Does the Office of Ethics and Compliance investigate allegations of County law enforcement misconduct?
No, allegations of law enforcement misconduct by County representatives (i.e. Sheriff's deputies, probation officers, etc.) are investigated by the Citizen's Law Enforcement Review Board, (619) 238-6776.
- Does the Office of Ethics and Compliance investigate complaints of misconduct in other law enforcement agencies?
No, to file a complaint with another law enforcement agency (i.e. San Diego Police Department, California Highway Patrol, etc.), please contact that agency’s Office of Internal Affairs.
- Does the Office of Ethics and Compliance investigate allegations of welfare fraud?
No, welfare fraud complaints should be filed with the District Attorney's Public Assistance Fraud Hotline at (800) 421-2252.
- Does the Office of Ethics and Compliance investigate complaints involving accessibility for the disabled?
No, complaints involving accessibility for the disabled should be filed with the County of San Diego's Americans with Disabilities Act Coordinator, (619) 531-5205.
- Does the Office of Ethics and Compliance investigate allegations of housing discrimination?
No, allegations of housing discrimination are investigated by the Department of Housing & Community Development, (858) 694-8750.
- Does the Office of Ethics and Compliance investigate discrimination complaints regarding private companies or organizations other than the County of San Diego?
No, to file a complaint about a company or organization other than the County, please contact the Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH) (619) 645-2681 or the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (619) 557-7249.
- Child Welfare Services Ombudsman: (619) 338-2098
- Child Support Services Ombudsman: (866) 901-3212
- County ADA Coordinator: (858) 505-6521