Household hazardous waste (HHW) is the unused or leftover portion of any hazardous chemicals or materials. Any leftover household product that is labeled with DANGER, WARNING, TOXIC, CAUTION, POISON, FLAMMABLE, CORROSIVE, or REACTIVE is considered a household hazardous waste.
Additional information for Universal Waste, Pharmaceutical Waste and Safe Disposal of Home Sharps is available.
Examples of HHW are listed below:
- Aerosol Cans
- Automotive Fluids
- Batteries (auto, household, & rechargeable)
- Computer, Monitors and Televisions
- Fluorescent Lights - including tubes and Compact Fluorescent Lights (CFLs)
- Household Cleaners
- Mercury Items (inc. thermometers & thermostats)
- Motor Oil & Oil Filters
- Paint & Stains (latex & oil)
- Pool Chemicals
Upcoming Recycling and Household Hazardous Waste Collection Event
June 21, 2014 - Elfin Forest / Harmony Grove Fire Station - 20223 Elfin Forest Road, Escondido - 9 am - 2 pm
NEW!! Paint Stewardship Program: "PaintCare"
Recycle you leftover paint with PaintCare, an industry sponsored paint stewardship non-profit program established to manage the reuse, recycling and proper disposal of unused architectural paint. PaintCare will establish hundreds of drop-off sites at paint retail stores, government-run household hazardous waste facilities, and other locations across California. When these sites are part of PaintCare, they will accept program products (primarily latex and oil based paint) from all residents and certain businesses.
Click here to search for participating retail take back centers in San Diego County
For more information: http://www.paintcare.org
Did You Know?
Read product labels to learn about product uses and dangers before you purchase a product.
- Choose safer, less toxic alternative products.
- If you must purchase hazardous products, buy only the amount you need for the task and use it all so you can help eliminate HHW.
- Always store all your household chemicals in a protected and secure area away from children, pets, and appliance pilot lights to prevent poisonings and home fires.
Reduce, Reuse & Recycle
Reduce the amount of hazardous products that you purchase. Reuse the materials that you have on hand. Recycle your waste and dispose properly at collection sites.
Safe and Legal Disposal of Household Hazardous Waste
- Protects you and your family's health
- Keeps our water clean and reduces stormwater pollution
- Preserves our environment
For additional disposal information:
Household Hazardous Waste Hotline
Se habla español