Your County Government Community
Kids & Families
Environment Public Safety Jobs

Public Works

DPW Home
About DPW
Accela Online Permit Database System
Consumer Information
Engineering Services
Environment Services
Flood Control
Land Development
Landfill Management
Permits and Forms
Special Assessment Districts
County Surveyor
Frequently Asked Questions
Site Map
Current Job Openings

Floodplain Development Regulations and Permitting

Printer Friendly
Font Size Extra Large Font Size Large Font Size Default
Dpw logo

Always check with the County Planning and Public Works departments before you build, fill, alter or grade on your property.  All new developments, or any alterations, additions, or modifications to your building or land require a permit.  Qualified County staff are available at the Flood Control Counter at the County’s Operation Center Annex at 5201 Ruffin Road, San Diego to discuss your options and to help you plan and build a safe project while complying with the County Floodplain Management Ordinance.

In addition to regular building permits, special regulations apply to construction in the floodplain and floodway. No construction, including filling, is allowed in the mapped floodway without an engineering analysis that shows the project will not increase flood damage elsewhere.  Any activity outside the floodplain but within a natural or man-made watercourse also requires a permit.

Homeowners who are planning substantial improvements should contact the Permit and Review Division for a residential building permit.  Elevation or floodproofing may be required if you plan to substantially improve your existing structure (the cost of the improvement or add-on is 50% of the value of the existing structure).  If your property is substantially damaged (50 percent of the value of the building), Federal regulations may also require you to elevate or floodproof before you can rebuild.

The document titled “Answers to Questions about Substantially Damaged Buildings” (FEMA-213, May 1991) will help answer questions on this topic and can be obtained free online or by calling 1-800-480-2520.

To report illegal floodplain development or to verify that proper construction permits have been issued for a project, contact the Department of Public Works Flood Control Counter at (858) 694-2055. An inspector will investigate.

Back to Main Flood Control Home Page

If you have questions or would like additional information, 
call the County Stormwater hotline at 1(888) 846-0800
or e-mail us at

Report a Stormwater Violation On-Line
Department of Public Works
Flood Control
5510 Overland Ave., Suite 410, MS O326
San Diego,  CA  92123,  USA
(858) 495-5318           Fax: (858) 495-5263