Your County Government Community
Kids & Families
Environment Public Safety Jobs

Job Application Questions

How do I submit my application?

You can submit your application online at

Click Here to view the First Time User Guide for help and instructions on submitting your application online.

Click Here to find free internet access locations with workstations.

Recruitments may be open to the public or open as promotional, which means one must be a County employee to be eligible to apply.

Department of Human Resources

County of San Diego

5530 Overland Avenue

Suite 210

San Diego, CA 92123-1219

Hours: 8 am to 5 pm

How do I apply online?

Click here to apply on-line. Our Job Application website has instructions on each page for the applicant.

I cannot access the online application. What should I do?

Our on-line Job Application system is provided by NeoGov. If you have problems while applying on-line, please contact NeoGov at 1-877-204-4442.

If the NeoGov Help Desk is not able to assist you, please call our County Of San Diego Human Resources Office at 619-236-2191 between the hours of 8 am and 5 pm.

Can I use volunteer experience to meet the minimum qualifications for a job classification?

Volunteer experience is generally not accepted. It will only be accepted if it is noted on the job announcement.

Do I need to submit anything else with my application?

If supplemental information or other materials are required as part of an application, it will be indicated on the job posting. The supplemental materials are necessary to determine if the minimum qualifications for the position for which you are applying are met. In order to be considered, you must submit all supplemental information at the same time you submit your application. Any additional materials may be attached to your application at the time of the on-line submission. Click here for instructions on how to attach additional materials to your on-line application prior to submittal. If you have already submitted your application on-line, you may email any additional materials to

Copies of any required licenses, transcripts or certificates that have been identified in the recruitment announcement should be submitted immediately in order for your application to be accepted.

Note: All materials must be received by the Department of Human Resources on or before the filing deadline.

I want to apply for several of the jobs listed. Do I need to fill out a separate application for each job classification?

Yes. Every application is evaluated separately based on the classification for which you are applying. It is, therefore, necessary to turn in a separate application for each job classification.

How can I be sure my on-line application was received?

When your application is received, you will receive a confirmation email. You can log onto NeoGov using the User ID and password that you created when you submitted your application to view the status at any time.

What do I do if my mailing address has changed since I submitted my application?

Go to our website at From the job postings page, select the Click Here to Check the Status of recently submitted applications. At the logon screen enter your User ID and password. Select "My Account" then select "Edit Contact Information". Make the necessary changes and then select "Save".

How will I be contacted with information about the status of my application?

You can log onto NeoGov using the User ID and password that you created when you submitted your application to view the status at any time.

How do I object to the examination or its parts?

Objections to the examination or its parts shall be petitioned in writing to the Director and include specific grounds, evidence, information or facts to support the objection and a proposed remedy. The following time limits shall apply:.

(a) Objections to the administration of a part of an examination shall be petitioned to the Director at the time of administration or no later than five (5) work days of the occurrence of the examination part.

(b) Objections to the results of an examination shall be petitioned to the Director no later than ten (10) days from the date results are received. Civil Service Rule 3.1.11

Testing Procedures Questions

Is there a written test for every job?

No, the evaluation process for a recruitment may be any one, or a combination of the following: rating of information contained in your employment application and supplemental forms, written multiple choice test, written essay test, oral interview, performance test, simulation test and/or assessment center.

Can I prepare for the test and are there study guides?

Carefully read the recruitment announcement, particularly the "Evaluation" section, for the knowledge, skills and abilities that will be tested. Test related reference materials may be available from the public library.

How will I be contacted with information about the status of my examination?

Applicants are notified by email or U.S. mail depending on the method you chose when you submitted your application regarding the results of examination.

How do I arrange for Special Accommodation for an examination?

Persons with disabilities can make arrangements for accommodations during the evaluation and selection process by contacting the Department of Human Resources. Applicants who cannot participate in tests administered on Saturdays, due to religious reasons, may submit a written request for alternative arrangements. Documentation from a recognized religious leader describing the requested accommodation must be submitted and received in the Department of Human Resources within 10 days of the submittal of the application. For more information and access to the form click here.

Hiring Process Questions

How will I know when you're recruiting for a specific job?

All current recruitments will be listed on the Job Postings page of our website. You also have an option to submit an interest card in our NeoGov on-line Job Application system and you will be notified when that recruitment is opened.

I have submitted my application - what happens next?

After you submit your application, it will be evaluated by an analyst. The evaluation is designed to assess applicants' job-related knowledge, skills and abilities to assure that the applicant meets the minimum requirements for the position as stated in the recruitment announcement. After the evaluation is complete, you will receive a notice that the minimum requirements have, or have not, been met.

What is the hiring process?

Once a recruitment is opened for either a specific timeframe, or, as a "series", in which case it remains open for an undetermined time, recruitment announcements are posted. Applications are received and evaluated, applicants are notified of status, and an eligible list is created. When a department has a vacancy, the list of top ranking applicants is provided to the requesting department. The hiring department will determine those candidates who are most qualified for its particular vacancy through any combination of the following: application review, interviews, performance test, reference check, background investigation, or other job-related assessment process.

For additional information regarding the hiring process, click here.

How is my position on the employment list determined?

The position on the list depends on a number of factors that can change the order, i.e., candidates applied that are hired, merging names from series exams, etc.

What happens if I'm selected by the hiring department?

Appointment to County service is contingent upon successful completion of pre-employment medical examinations which includes drug and alcohol screening. Upon successful completion, your start date will be established.

After you are hired, you will serve a probationary period before you become a permanent County employee. During this time you will have the opportunity to demonstrate your knowledge and skills, and your performance and work habits will be evaluated.

All newly hired employees are required to utilize and maintain electronic direct deposit of their paychecks into the bank or financial institution of their choice.

At which location will I be working?

This depends on the location of the particular position to be filled. It is important to indicate on the employment application at which locations you are willing to work as this information is used when identifying candidates to interview.

General Employment Questions

How old do I have to be to apply for a job?

The minimum age for applicants is 18 years old unless otherwise stated on the Recruitment Announcement.

What type of benefits does the County of San Diego offer?

Click here for an overview of County benefits.

Are there any pre-employment requirements?

Appointment to County service is contingent upon successful completion of pre-employment medical examinations which includes drug and alcohol screening. Some positions also require successful completion of a background investigation, truth verification and a psychological evaluation. All candidates must demonstrate the ability to perform the essential functions of the position.

What is a series/promotional recruitment?

Applications are accepted only for jobs open for recruitment. County of San Diego has two types of recruitments:

Series Recruitment - a type of recruitment where applications are accepted at intervals as employment needs require and names are placed on one employment list in order of final grades regardless of dates of application. Applicants may be accepted only once under each recruitment number.

Promotional Recruitment - limited to employees in the County service who received their appointment from an employment list, to individuals on County reinstatement lists, employees on authorized leave of absence, or to individuals on re-employment lists as a result of County lay-off. Applicants who terminate County employment will no longer be eligible pursuant to Civil Service Rule 2.1.6(k).

Are there policies pertaining to Smoking, Alcohol and/or Drugs?

The use of illicit drugs and alcohol is not permitted in the workplace. Employees who violate this policy are subject to disciplinary procedures which include termination.

All County offices are smoke-free and the policies in designated areas are vigorously enforced.

Does the County offer Veteran's Preference?

We encourage veterans to apply for positions with the County of San Diego. Copies of DD214 (must include fields 1 - 29 on the form) , Veterans Administration documentation, marriage certificates, death certificates, and proof of eligibility are required at the time of application.

Preference points will be given to those:

  • Who have not been employed with the County of San Diego since leaving the military;

  • Served within the last 8 years during a time of war or national emergency; and

  • Are not retired veterans receiving full pensions.

Eligible individuals also include:

  • Veterans with a service-connected disability received during a war or campaign;

  • Spouses of war veterans who died or were totally disabled.

Can I transfer employment from another County?

No, we have no employment reciprocity with other public agencies.

Do I have to be a U.S. Citizen to be hired?

The County only hires U.S. citizens and lawfully authorized alien workers. Every new hire will be required to complete an Employment Verification Certification (Form I-9). Individuals employed in executive-level positions or in positions subject to Peace Officer Standards and Training must be citizens or permanent residents of the U.S.

Miscellaneous Questions

How do I obtain a typing certificate?

Typing certificates can be obtained from continuing education centers located throughout the County. Typing tests must be conducted in accordance with the International Typing Contest Rules.

For more information on the typing test and locations, click here.

What is a Foreign Equivalency Certification (FEC) and how do I obtain one?

A foreign equivalency certification is a report by an acceptable educational credential evaluator used to establish U.S. educational equivalency of college/university-level degrees. This type of report is usually sufficient when a degree is required for employment purposes. Some positions may require GPA equivalency, a course-by-course listing, or additional information. FEC's can be obtained for a fee from credited agencies. Click here for a list of Acceptable Educational Credential Evaluators. All evaluators are members of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES).

What is the process for student workers?

Students wishing to work at the County must complete an application and should directly contact the departments in which they have an interest in working.

For more information about the Student Worker Program, click here.

How can I find out about specific requirements or salary for a specific position?

Students wishing to work at the County must complete an application and should directly contact the departments in which they have an interest in working.

This information is available on our Job Descriptions & Salaries section of our web site. Additionally, if we advertise a position vacancy, the job bulletin will contain full information on the skills typically required and salary range of the position. Lastly, you can contact the Department of Human Resources directly to get salary information.