The County of San Diego Department of Parks and Recreation maintains and operates more than 40,000 acres of beautiful and unique locations and settings. Many of these are desirable for still photographers and filmmakers for backdrops and film footage. County Parks appreciates the beauty and diversity of its facilities and encourages the use of the parks for photo and film opportunities, while maintaining the integrity of the environment and the enjoyment of its visitors.
Most of the park locations are available for use by reservation, and in many of these locations, park rangers will be on hand to assist with and monitor activities.
Reservation procedures and fees for using County parks are outlined below:
- All photographers/filmmakers using county parks must be registered with the San Diego Film Commission, telephone 619-234-3456. There is no charge for this service. A minimum of a $1,000,000 insurance policy naming the County of San Diego is required.
- Requests for photo/film permits may be made by completing an application and faxing it to Sylvia Bugiel at 858-495-5841. (Please allow a minimum of 24 hours processing time prior to scheduled film/photo shoot.)
- Any special requests/needs will be handled on an individual basis at the time of the application.
- Most parks are open from 9:30 a.m. until sunset. Requests for early entry or late stay will result in additional charges.
- Fees for still/catalogue shoots are $50 per hour, $150 half-day, $300 whole day.
- Fees for film/video or commercials are $100 per hour, $300 half-day, $600 whole day.
- Fees for using a park as a production base are $50 per day, plus $3 per parking space. A standard picnic fee of $100 up to $400 may apply if day-use areas are used. An additional $50 catering fee will apply if a caterer is present.
- Total payment for the permit is due prior to the shoot.
- Arrangements for use of the Victorian Village at Heritage Park will include working with individual lessees in the park and could require additional fees.
For additional information or questions please call Sylvia Bugiel at 858-966-1308.
Go to this page for the permit application. Please be familiar with the procedures and fees listed above before completing the application. Fax completed applications and paperwork to Sylvia Bugiel at 858-495-5841 for processing and approval.