General Plan Land Use Map
Community Plan text
Commercial Design Review Checklist
Industrial Design Review Checklist
Multi-Family Design Review Checklist
Town Center Design Review Checklist
The Community of Lakeside is located in the western foothills of the Cuyamaca Mountains on the San Diego River about 21 miles east of downtown San Diego. Six thousand six-hundred (6,600) acres of the Rancho El Cajon land grant were purchased by the El Cajon Valley Land Company in 1886. The company mapped the area as a townsite, naming it Lakeside after Lindo Lake which is located near the Town Center.
Lakeside was essentially a rural community until the 1950s, when growth began to surge. Lakeside's rural atmosphere was very attractive to those seeking escape from the more densely settled areas of central San Diego; and, with the completion of Interstate 8, convenient access was provided to the employment centers to the west. The resulting suburbanization of Lakeside became a prime concern of the residents and in 1970 the Board of Supervisors approved creation of the Lakeside Community Planning Group.
The desire to maintain a rural type of lifestyle has affected the way in which Lakeside has developed. A considerable amount of small-scale farming still exists in the community and many homes in the residential areas of Lakeside have small horse corrals evidencing a relatively high degree of horse ownership. Maintaining and enhancing the rural imagery of the area would be an important consideration for those wishing to develop in Lakeside.
- Lakeside Community Plan,
San Diego County General Plan