Thank you for your interest in volunteering. You may contact SDCFA or any of its partner agencies for further information regarding volunteer service.
If you meet the minimum qualifications (or will by the applicable SDCFA Orientation date), and would like to receive an invitation to apply during the next selection cycle, please complete the interest form below. Interest forms should be submitted three to four months in advance of the date you wish to begin volunteering.
An abbreviated summary of the selection process is as follows:
- Complete interest form.
- Receive invitation to apply during selection cycle (only if you currently meet or will meet the minimum qualifications by the applicable SDCFA Orientation date).
- Receive conditional offer for volunteer position if selected.
- Complete screening process (i.e., background and medical).
- Attend orientation.
- Begin volunteer service.
2014 and 2015 Selection Cycles - subject to change without notice
|Volunteer Application Cycle||Interest Card Due|
|Interview||Conditional Offer Sent by:||SDCFA Orientation|
|Training Orientation Day|
|Field Training Day (S-130)
|2014-3||6/15/14||6/22/14||6/23/14 - 7/3/14||7/11/14||9/19/14||9/26/14||9/27/14
|2014-4||8/17/14||8/24/14||8/25/14 - 9/8/14||9/10/14||11/12/14||11/19/14||11/20/14
|2015-1||10/5/14||10/12/14||10/13/14 - 10/27/14||10/29/14||1/7/15||1/14/15||1/15/15
|2015-2||11/23/14||11/30/14||12/1/14 - 12/15/14||12/17/14||3/4/15||3/11/15||3/12/15
|2015-3||2/1/15||2/8/15||2/9/15 - 2/23/15||2/25/15||4/29/15||5/6/15||5/7/15
|2015-4||3/15/15||3/22/15||3/23/15 - 4/6/15||4/8/15||6/10/15||6/17/15||6/18/15
|2015-5||5/17/15||5/24/15||5/25/15 - 6/8/15||6/10/15||8/12/15||8/19/15||8/20/15
|2015-6||6/21/15||6/28/15||6/29/15 - 7/13/15||7/15/15||9/16/15||9/23/15||9/24/15
Minimum Qualifications for all volunteer positions:
- 18 years of age
- High school diploma or GED
- Ability to pass background and medical screenings
Additional requirements for Volunteer Firefighter position:
- Valid California Driver License
- Certified EMT or Paramedic by County of San Diego EMS
- HAZMAT FRO Operational certification
- Documented hands-on training in fire suppression and fire fighting manipulative skills (see below for details)
- Select FEMA and NWCG certifications (see below for details)
- Confined Space Rescue Awareness certification